Friday, July 21, 2023

Four Really Unrelated Commissions!

First up, a commission of Ma Hunkel in her superhero identity, Red Tornado! I drew this one in my own natural style. (With a tip of the hat to Sheldon Mayer.) It's a sweet spot for me, a Golden Age character that's slightly cartoon-y.

And for something totally different--

Apparently there was a scandal during a chili cook-off involving store-bought chili. I was sent photos of the people involved and now it's a Cable #3 cover parody! Ha ha! Original--

The following commission was a request for Death from Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. In an attempt for give it my own spin, I asked if I could include the original Doom Patrol (or should we say "Doomed Patrol"). Happily the answer was yes! I first discovered comic books as a 5 year-old in a barber shop-- Metamorpho, Metal Men, and Doom Patrol. (Hmm. Probably all the titles that didn't sell at the dime store. They were coverless.) I didn't put any jokes in this one. (Unless you consider walking on sand in high heels funny.) For those who don't know, the Doom Patrol was killed in 1968 when their book was canceled.
And lastly, another left turn-- Rick & Morty run through Halo & Sprocket's world! I was surprised that Rick, Morty, and Sprocket all have the same kind of feet.
I have another H&S commission coming up soon, mixed with a "realistic" character. It should be fun!
If you've never read my Halo and Sprocket comics, you really should. It's some of my most thoughtful work. Available here!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are all fun and beautiful.

Tom Robertson said...

So happy with how my Chilli commission turned out. If anyone has ever been curious about doing a commission with Kerry, do it!

Kerry Callen said...

Thanks, Tom!