Sunday, May 21, 2023

Batman! Joker! Green Lantern! Dr. Fate! Ice Maidens! More Commissions!

The above commission was a request to have "first appearance" Batman hit the Joker with a large, specific sound effect. "Kablamm!" Done and done! I decided to put off-registered color on the Joker. THAT'S how hard Batman hits!!

I'm a fan of the primitive way superheroes' powers were represented in the Golden Age. So, for the above commission I played it up! I never thought about how Green Lantern's beam might be made of flame. It makes so much sense coming from an old-time lantern.

The ladies above are lesser-known DC characters. I’m not sure if they ever hung out together or not. Apparently most of them were part of the Global Guardians at some point. From top to right-- Fire (or Green Flame), Owlwoman (or Owl-Woman), Godiva, Ice (or Ice Maiden II), and Ice Maiden.

Btw, on all commissions, I now offer a color print, hand-signed, by me "1 of 1." Most pieces are created in black ink on Bristol board, which you receive. I then add digital colors, and make only one print. (You also get the digital file.) If you have commissioned it from me, you're the only person to have a high res print. (I go to a printing service for this, to insure quality.) If you're interested, please shoot me an email at KerryCallenArt@gmail.com.

4 comments:

Rien said...

These are great!

Kerry Callen said...

Thanks!

cdnalor said...

I like the Batman pic but it's a little odd to see him and Joker wearing almost identical purple gloves. They must have shopped in the same stores.

I remember the Silver Age Green Lantern logo had flames on the letters even though Hal Jordan's ring emitted a beam.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Kerry Callen said...

Oh! You're right! I had forgotten about the old Green Lantern logo. The clues have been here all along!