Monday, March 29, 2010

The Merciless Destroyer!

In last week's The Marvels Project #7, we saw the appearence of an old, Golden Age character called The Destroyer.

Back in the mid-80's, I had no idea this character existed when I created a character called The Merciless Destroyer. Like the Marvel hero, he had his origin set in World War II. His daughter later took up the mantle, as seen below on a page from my Directory to a Nonexistent Universe comic. (Read more about the Directory here.) Click on it to enlarge and read.

When I created this, Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't exist. I named my character "Buffy" because the name was connected with traits of being very girly and delicate. It's probably why Josh Whedon also picked it for his movie, which later spawned the TV show. The title itself had an ironic hook. Today, I suspect many people connect the name with being tough! (Which kinda makes sense since it has the word "buff" in it.)

Anyway, I read somewhere that The Marvels Project writer Ed Brubaker wanted to bring the Destroyer back as a mainstream Marvel character existing today. I hope he does it exactly like I did.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

Have you see Robert Kirkman and Cory Walker's remake of the The Destroyer for Marvel MAX? I've only read part of it but it's pretty cool.

Kerry Callen said...

I haven't seen that. I didn't know the character even existed until recently.

Since I usually like Kirkman's writing, I might check that out...