Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Mr. Monster vs. Captain Monster?!?


I've recently had the honor to do some trading of artwork with Michael T. Gilbert-- Mr. Monster writer/artist extreme! Michael asked if I could create a Mr. Monster cover in the style of the old Batman covers from the late 1950s/early 1960s. I said, Sure!" I've posted it above.

In return, Michael drew the below cover and sent me the original art. How fun!

Here are his notes, "It's a takeoff of an old DC Detective Comics cover. The original one was drawn in 1963 by Shelly Moldoff, signing his work as Bob Kane (something Kane insisted on). I've tried to keep the goofy spirit of the original, grafting parts of two different Batman covers in the process!"

Michael mashed together two Detective Comics covers, 320 and 272. He also gave me a few Mr. Monsters I didn't already own. So great!

No comments: