Monday, January 5, 2009

Galactus' Helmet Just Gets Happier and Happier!

When Jack Kirby first revealed Galactus at the end of Fantastic Four #48 in 1966, his helmet top basically resembled an unenthused Kermit the Frog face.


By the time Alex Ross was painting him for Marvels in 1994, Galactus' headwear had been de-kermitfied, and was getting a little cheerier, like a happy monkey.


In 2007, as Gabriele Dell'Otto portrayed him on Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus covers, his helmet has gotten downright giddy!


...And people say that comics have gotten darker over the years...

11 comments:

Denis said...

This rocks in a disturbing and humorous fashion! I love the monkey one! Priceless!!

Kevin said...

It makes me want to write a story titled "So Laughs Galactus!" or something. I think it would be a contest between Galactus and Black Bolt to see which can make the other laugh first. It would end with Galactus finally doubling over in laughter when Black Bolt gets Lockjaw to hump the Fantasticar (Mark I model).

When I was in college, I got Rick Stasi to draw me a color portrait of Galactdux, which was my idea for a Howard the Duck story. He rendered it Kirby-style with the reaching hand and everything. It's still pretty cool.

Kerry Callen said...

I think the idea of someone trying to make Black Bolt laugh is brilliant!

Kevin said...

Hmm ... you know, there is something there.

Maybe some third-rate super-villains bent on destroying reality (heedless of injuries to themselves) decide to try that tactic.

John Evans said...

:D

Anonymous said...

As Jack Kirby spins in his grave so fast he drills down to China.
;)

Kerry Callen said...

Possibly. But I suspect it would be more over this.

(Btw, I love Jack Kirby's work, or I wouldn't be blogging about him...)

Tim Simmons said...

I'm never going to un-see that now, am I?

JB Sapienza said...

That's awesome! amazing eye for detail.

Vigilantius said...

What I love about the early Galactus is the big "G" on his chest.

Sanowar said...

It's a great helmet. It's really amazing. I think it's important for everyone.Thanks for sharing.