Thursday, May 1, 2008

I did a Marvel Ape, once...

I read that Marvel is coming out with a Marvel Apes comic. I did a Marvel ape once...


A couple of years ago, when I was unsure I would be able to continue to draw Halo and Sprocket, I decided to submit a Spider-Ham idea to Marvel. I thought of new, animals names for most of the Marvel Universe. I created the Oranguthing. (I believe in the original Spider-Ham books, the Thing was merely called the Thang.)

In my story, all the mutants were Egg-Layers, while the rest of the world were Mammals. It made the naming of the characters tougher, but I was happy with the results. In Marvel's version, the X-Men were called the X-Bugs. In my version, they were the Eggs-Men. They were lead by Prof. Eggs, a bald eagle nested in a wheelchair. I don't usually say this about my own work, but there were a lot of things to like about my proposal. Marvel, however, didn't bite. Below is a piece of my cover letter...


A few months after I sent in my proposal, I noticed there was a Ghost Rider TP released called "Vicious Cycle." (I do truly believe, however, that this was a coincidence.)

It still blows my mind that Marvel isn't capitalizing on Spider-Ham characters. There are more and more "cute" Marvel toys coming out everyday!

Marvel, if you feel like your current Spider-Ham characters aren't strong enough to merchandise, I've got a whole list of re-imagined ones...

No comments: